Divorce FAQ’s

Our firm has represented clients in central Pennsylvania for more than 120 years. In that time, we have answered countless questions about divorce and other family law matters. Here, we have answered some of the most common questions we hear from clients. Keep in mind that every situation is unique, and there is no substitute for a personal consultation with an attorney if you have specific questions.

Q: How long will it take to get divorced?

A: Many factors affect the length of time a divorce takes. If you and your spouse agree on most issues like alimony and property division, the process may only take a few months. However, more complex proceedings can last for years, particularly if you and your spouse have disagreements or complex assets. Our lawyers will help you know what to expect in your unique situation and make sure you know your options for moving your case along.

Q: Can I get divorced in Pennsylvania if I was married in another state?

A: Yes, but you or your spouse must have lived in Pennsylvania for at least six months prior to filing for divorce.

Q: Can I get a legal separation instead of a divorce?

A: While the date of a couple’s separation has implications for the divorce process and property division, there is no such thing as a legal separation under Pennsylvania law. A knowledgeable family law attorney can help you understand your options and alternatives.

Q: Do I need a lawyer if I plan to negotiate with my spouse?

A: It is often worth considering resolving your family law proceeding without going to court — but it is always in your best interests to work with a lawyer. Our experienced attorneys can advise you on the benefits and pitfalls of alternative dispute resolution proceedings like mediation, and we can help you take steps to resolve your divorce as efficiently and painlessly as possible.

More Questions About Divorce? Contact us to Speak with an Attorney

To discuss your questions and concerns with an attorney, please contact one of our office locations in State College and Bellefonte.

Contact Us